During our 30 Day Zero Waste Challenge, we had to start thinking a little bit outside of the box for our amazing furry family member Ada! So many dog treats come in packages and there is no good reason for that. What we’re discovering is that not only are zero waste treats healthier for our pup, they’re better for the planet.
Here are some creative zero waste treats for dogs:
- Carrots! Raw carrots, steamed carrots, roasted carrots. Our dog loves all of them.
- Apple slices. At home, we love Gala apples and so that’s what our dog eats too. She is definitely into them. When we’re feeling extra generous, we dip them into a little bit of all natural, zero waste (no packaging) peanut butter and she is in heaven!
- Roasted chickpeas. Yes, you read that right, lol. Ada loves herself some chickpeas, and you can use them almost like training treats because they’re small and crunchy.
- Peanuts. Raw or roasted.
- Minty toothbrushes! Our dog loves these, and I love that they help fight plaque. These are available at our local Petco and they come straight outta the bin, so bring a bag or a mason jar.
- Biscuit training treats. We are always teaching our puppy new tricks. Thankfully, we can buy really cheap training treats also at our local Petco. Don’t forget your jar or bag though so you can keep in zero waste.
What other zero waste dog treats do you like to give your furry friend??